About Library & Information Week
The theme for Library and Information Week, running 20–26 May 2019, is Truth Integrity, Knowledge (TIK). This theme recognises all the ways that qualified library staff and libraries support and further these ideals.
The week provides you the opportunity to inform your community about the range of services that libraries offer. You can join library and information professionals across Australia in celebrating the week by hosting an event or showing off your Library and Information Week display on social media using the #LIW2019 hashtag. We have merchandise for the week including stickers, notebooks, pencils, a TIK pin and bookmarks. There are also free resources including posters, flyers and Librarian and Technician Day stickers.
Library and Information Week 2019 is supported by Booktopia.
Library and Information Week provides the community with the opportunity to:
- Find out about the wide range of services that libraries offer.
- Recognise the vital role which libraries and information services play for research and education.
- Recognise the contribution of specialist libraries for the work outcomes in corporations, government departments, hospitals and other institutions.
- Debate our information future and the government's approach to it.
- Emphasise the significance of libraries in the maintenance of our history and culture at community and national levels.
- Recognise the importance of library and information services as providers of services for people who may otherwise be disadvantaged by their lack of access to information and services.
- Consider the role which libraries play in our local community, work, and personal life.
Truth, Integrity and Knowledge
Library and Information Week, is held during the last week of May each year. This year Library and Information Week takes place from 20–26 May 2019. We are excited to announce that the theme for Library and Information Week 2019 is Truth, Integrity, Knowledge (TIK).
Monday 20 May – Launch day– You can start creating activities for your users that will run across the entire week.
Tuesday 21 May – National Library and Information Technicians' Day – This is the day to celebrate the great work that library technicians do and to gain a better understanding of their role in libraries. This year we have created some free Library Technicians Day stickers that you can download in the resources section.
Wednesday 22 May – National Simultaneous Storytime – at 11am participants across Australia and New Zealand will sit down and read Alpacas with Maracas written and illustrated by Matt Cosgrove.
Thursday 23 May – Libraries celebrate Cancer Council's Biggest Morning Tea – take a break and help raise money with your community for this important cause
Friday 24 May – ALIA Day – spread the love and let users and other LIS professionals know the good work that ALIA does, including Library and Information Week!