About Library & Information Week
The theme for Library and Information Week, running 25–31 May 2020, is Create. This theme represents all the ways that libraries and library and information professionals support creation. Libraries create community; technology; information; entertainment; value; friendships; policy; events and much more.
The week provides you the opportunity to inform your community about the range of services that libraries offer. You can join library and information professionals across Australia in celebrating the week by hosting an event or showing off your Library and Information Week display on social media using the #LIW2020 hashtag.
Once again we will have merchandise for the week, and we already have free downloadable resources.
Library and Information Week provides the community with the opportunity to:
- Learn about the range of services that your library offers.
- Recognise the vital role which libraries and information services play for research and education.
- Recognise the contribution of specialist libraries for the work outcomes in corporations, government departments, hospitals and other institutions.
- Debate our information future and the government's approach to it.
- Emphasise the significance of libraries in the maintenance of our history and culture at community and national levels.
- Recognise the importance of library and information services as providers of services for people who may otherwise be disadvantaged by their lack of access to information and services.
- Consider the role which libraries play in our local community, work, and personal life.
Library and Information Week, is held during the last week of May each year. This year Library and Information Week takes place from 25–31 May 2020. We are excited to announce that the theme for Library and Information Week 2020 is Create.
Monday 25 May – Launch day – You can start creating activities for your users that will run across the entire week.
Tuesday 26 May – National Library and Information Technicians' Day – This is the day to celebrate the great work that library technicians do and to gain a better understanding of their role in libraries we have created some free Library Technicians' Day stickers that you can download in the resources section.
Wednesday 27 May – National Simultaneous Storytime – at 11am participants across Australia and New Zealand will sit down and read Whitney and Britney Chicken Divas written and illustrated by Lucinda Gifford and published by Scholastic Australia.
Thursday 28 May – Libraries celebrate Cancer Council's Biggest Morning Tea – take a break and help raise money with your community for this important cause
Friday 29 May – ALIA Day – spread the love and let users and other LIS professionals know the good work that ALIA does, including Library and Information Week!