The theme for Library and Information Week, running 20–26 May 2019, is Truth Integrity, Knowledge (TIK). This theme recognises all the ways that qualified library staff and libraries support and further these ideals.
The week provides you the opportunity to inform your community about the range of services that libraries offer. You can join library and information professionals across Australia in celebrating the week by hosting an event or showing off your Library and Information Week display on social media using the #LIW2019 hashtag. We have merchandise for the week including stickers, notebooks, pencils, a TIK pin and bookmarks. There are also free resources including posters, flyers and Librarian and Technician Day stickers.
Library and Information Week 2019 is supported by Booktopia.
Library and Information Week provides the community with the opportunity to:
- Find out about the wide range of services that libraries offer.
- Recognise the vital role which libraries and information services play for research and education.
- Recognise the contribution of specialist libraries for the work outcomes in corporations, government departments, hospitals and other institutions.
- Debate our information future and the government's approach to it.
- Emphasise the significance of libraries in the maintenance of our history and culture at community and national levels.
- Recognise the importance of library and information services as providers of services for people who may otherwise be disadvantaged by their lack of access to information and services.
- Consider the role which libraries play in our local community, work, and personal life.
Truth, Integrity and Knowledge
Library and Information Week, is held during the last week of May each year. This year Library and Information Week takes place from 20–26 May 2019. We are excited to announce that the theme for Library and Information Week 2019 is Truth, Integrity, Knowledge (TIK).
Monday 20 May – Launch day – You can start creating activities for your users that will run across the entire week.
Tuesday 21 May – National Library and Information Technicians' Day – This is the day to celebrate the great work that library technicians do and to gain a better understanding of their role in libraries. This year we have created some free Library Technicians Day stickers that you can download in the resources section.
Wednesday 22 May – National Simultaneous Storytime – at 11am participants across Australia and New Zealand will sit down and read Alpacas with Maracas written and illustrated by Matt Cosgrove.
Thursday 23 May – Libraries celebrate Cancer Council's Biggest Morning Tea – take a break and help raise money with your community for this important cause
Friday 24 May – ALIA Day – spread the love and let users and other LIS professionals know the good work that ALIA does, including Library and Information Week!
- Email signature
- Letterhead pdf
- Letterhead word
- Health poster
- Website banner
- Website banner health
- A3 TIK poster
- A4 TIK poster
- Individual TIK posters
- Library Technicians Day stickers
- Social media icon
- Social media banner
This resource is designed to help you get the best publicity and media coverage for your Library and Information Week events in the lead up to the 2019 event.
Australian Library Week was first celebrated in 1968 under the auspices of the Australian Library Promotion Council. The Council folded in the late 1980s. After an intermission of some years, the Australian Library and Information Association assumed responsibility for Australian Library Week and activities and promotion of the event have steadily gained momentum.
In 2000, the name of the week was changed to Library and Information Week to reflect the broader coverage of the sector represented by the Library and Information Association. Library and Information Week will promote all types of library and information services, the expertise and skills of the profession, and the key issues that need to be addressed to secure access to information.
Previous Library and Information Week themes have included:
- 2018 - Find yourself in a library
- 2017 - Celebrate
- 2016 - Discover More
- 2015 - Imagine
- 2014 - Join the Dots
- 2013 - Share your story
- 2012 - Think Outside the Book
- 2011 - Libraries: We Find Stuff!
- 2010 - Access All Areas
- 2009 - Libraries your passport to discovery!
- 2008 - Libraries are for Everyone
- 2007 - Linking People with Ideas
- 2006 - Linking People with Ideas @your library
- 2005 - Posters themes: 'feeding hungry young minds', 'most user friendly search engine', 'what's on your librarians mind?'
- 2004 - Down and Loaded
- 2003 - Power your Mind
- 2002 - Libraries Change Lives
- 2001 - Libraries Information Matters and Libraries Knowledge Outlook
- 2000 - Here for the Long Run
- 1999 - Libraries: Explore and Discover
- 1998 - Pathways to Knowledge
- 1997 - Libraries: a Web of Information
Check out some of the 2018 highlights here. We'd love to see what you, your library or community are up to for Library and Information Week 2019. Send in your videos, photos and stories of how you celebrated Library and Information Week to email@example.com or use the hashtags #LIW2019 and #ALIATIK on social media.