- ALIA President 2020-2021
Following the Leadership theme, Viv’s presidential Education theme has continued discussions on continuing professional development and lifelong learning, how Education can empower the LIS profession as leaders, and build community capacity. The launch of the Professional Pathways initiative has been a highlight. Integrating professional development and education, this initiative will create a strong future and ensure long-term sustainability for the profession and LIS education.
During her tenure on the ALIA Board Viv has worked on the following ALIA Committees and Working Groups:
- ALIA Accreditation and Standards Sub-Committee
- ALIA Australian Public Libraries Alliance, appointed Chair 2020, ongoing
- ALIA House Advisory Committee
- ALIA Finance and Risk Management Sub-Committee
- ALIA New Graduates Advisory Group Sub-Committee
- ALIA Professional Development Education Research and Publishing Sub-Committee
MBA, Post Grad Dip Advanced Information & Library Studies, Grad Dip Bus, B Applied Science (Library Studies), Dip Project Management
Position as of February 2021:
Service Lead Libraries and Lifelong Learning, City of Stirling.
Responsible for the strategic and operational management of the Libraries and Lifelong Learning Service Unit, providing the City’s six public libraries and museum with vision and leadership in the development and implementation of customer focussed City-wide programs, services and activities.
Recently developed the Stirling Libraries Strategy 2021-2026: Connecting Communities which articulates the Libraries’ mission in serving and supporting a growing and evolving community with a strong focus on connecting communities through place-based and digital services, social inclusion and community participation, literacy and lifelong learning, enhancing digital capabilities, and strengthening staff capacity to deliver contemporary programs and services that meet community need and contribute to sustainable communities.
Viv has worked across a variety of professional appointments progressing from Student Librarian and Assistant Librarian, to Branch Librarian working in many Western Australian public libraries including the Cities of Nedlands, Canning, Wanneroo and Stirling.
Recent involvement includes:
- 2020/2021 ALIA President
- 2019/2020 ALIA Vice President and Director
- 2020 ongoing Chair, ALIA Australian Public Libraries Alliance
- 2012 -2019 Member, ALIA Australian Public Libraries Alliance
- 2018 – 2020 President Public Libraries Western Australia
- 2010 – 2018 Executive Member, Public Libraries Western Australia
- 2018 ALIA Mentoring Scheme
- 2016 – 2019 WA Public Library Representative, Kay Poustie Scholarship Committee
- 2012 – 2019 Board Member, Department of Information Studies, Curtin University
- 2011 – 2013 Executive Committee Member, WA Strategic Library Partnership Agreement Steering Committee
- 2011 – 2013 Chair Operational Management Group, WA Strategic Library Partnership Agreement
An Associate ALIA Member since 1985, Viv is a passionate advocate for libraries, and has been professionally active in the library and information sector throughout her career. Working at the state and national level, she is focussed on the strategic development and promotion of library and information services and supporting the library profession and colleagues. Through continuing professional development and networks Viv is continually seeking new and innovative methods to support and build staff capacity, and deliver relevant programs and services that benefit library customers.