Thursday, 15 December, 2016: A new Wikipedia campaign called #1lib1ref will start on January 15 to February 3 2018 which aims to improve Wikipedia by librarians adding new citations.
The campaign organisers are asking for librarians to add one reference to Wikipedia because any citation to a reliable source is a benefit to Wikipedia readers.
When the reference is added to the article, include the hashtag #1Lib1Ref in the edit summary so that organisers can track participation.
This campaign, #1lib1ref, aims to get librarians to provide tools for Wikipedia readers and provide experience for librarians to help integrate Wikipedia into the broader research and information literacy landscape.
This campaign builds on last year's called “Imagine a World where Every Librarian Adds One More Reference to Wikipedia".
The campaign is seeking the following:
- Share the campaign with your networks through mailing lists, blogs and other conversations with colleagues. Some institutions last year, wrote about Wikipedia and Libraries during #1lib1ref:
- John Hopkins University Blog: http://hub.jhu.edu/2016/01/15/librarians-wikipedia-15/
- ACRL TechConnect: http://acrl.ala.org/techconnect/post/1lib1ref
- State Library of New South Wales: http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/blogs/lib1ref-even-wikipedia-needs-librarians-too
- Host a "Coffee Hour" event, where you and your colleagues gather for an hour to learn how to add a reference and talk about Wikipedia’s evolving role in librarianship: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/The_Wikipedia_Library/1Lib1Ref/Coffee_Kit
- Help raise awareness and excitement on social media by spreading the hashtag #1lib1ref on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, etc.
- Participate in the campaign and add a citation yourself!
Thursday 15 December 2016 10:00am