International School Library Day will be held on 20 October 2020, and is about promoting all the ways that school libraries add to their communities.
Thank you to everyone who celebrated International School Library Day, we will be running this campaign again in 2021.
Congratulations to the winners of the 2020 ALIA International School Library Day colouring-in competition; the students at Westgrove Primary School, VIC and Yowie Bay Public School, NSW. You can see their beautiful artwork below. Both schools received a class set of crayons.
Additionally, the folks at the Students Need School Libraries campaign sought blog submissions from people who are curious and/or wild about school libraries. You can read the eight submissions on the website.
International School Library Day 2020 ideas
The below suggestions can be held as either physical or virtual events.
- Host a reading party.
- Create a display where users can guess where a quote from a particular book comes from with prizes for the correct guess.
- You know who your local talent is, you could invite in a local author to do a virtual or physical talk on their books.
- Dress up for the day, and encourage your co-workers to join in. Go one step further and run a costume competition.
- Host a special storytime event on the day.
- Set up a recommendations list where students can recommend books to other library users.
- Host a trivia night themed around books and media and add in some questions specific to your library.
- Encourage your library users to design the library of their dreams and/or the library of the future.
- Ask your library users to draw what your library looks like from memory, award prizes for the most accurate map.
- Encourage your library users to make a short video about what the library means to them.
- Run a story writing competition themed around your library.
We'd love to see what you, your library or community are up to for International School Library Day 2020. Send in your videos, photos and stories of how you celebrated to firstname.lastname@example.org or use the hashtag #ISLD2020 on social media.