Our advocacy campaigns are great opportunities for the sector to promote its value and to highlight issues of importance to the communities we serve.
January - ABC libraries
- The ABC’s CDs and vinyl records, comprising more than half a million items, provide unparalleled collections of sound recordings, representing both Australian and overseas musicians and performers, in a variety of genres. Although all the items are commercially produced, many are now hard to find, and cannot be easily replaced. Between them, the 10 specialist librarians (often combining library training with musical ability and broadcast talent) have more than 200 years’ worth of skills, knowledge and experience. This corporate and collection knowledge is irreplaceable.
- Additionally, the ABC’s film, sound and print collections require an ongoing strategy; they are of national importance and must be preserved for future generations. Assurance is needed that the ABC has a carefully considered plan in place for the management of its collections, or that the ABC will work with experts from the cultural sector to develop such a document.
January - Storytime Pledge
February - Library Lovers' Day
Key agenda items
1. A national framework for digital access to cultural collections
2. Improved access to data and scholarly information through the development and trial of open access models for government-funded research
3. Halt to government library closures and greater recognition of the role of library and information professionals in evidence-based decision-making
4. Greater recognition of the important part libraries play in literacy and learning
5. Greater recognition of the important part libraries play in digital inclusion
6. A national early literacy strategy
7. Support for the long term success of the Australian book industry
8. Quality library services for tertiary students enrolled in universities, TAFEs and private RTOs
9. Qualified library staff employed in every school library
10. Further copyright law reform (safe harbours and fair use)
11. Resourcing for public libraries to assist citizens through government’s digital transformation
12. Funding for library buildings as a vital element of Australia’s knowledge infrastructure
We are also engaged with Australia’s response to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.