We are looking for libraries and bookshops to host events for Australian Reading Hour 2021 with our Ambassadors. This year's theme will be Stories that Matter: The Story of Me, the Story of You, and How we are becoming Us.
Curated by Australia Reads these events explore how the stories we read and write shape our sense of identity, belonging & wellbeing as individuals and a nation.
MORE BOOKS, MORE OFTEN
Everything we do is about championing reading. At Australia Reads we’re passionate about getting more Australians to read more books, more often. Research shows that reading books can improve your cognitive abilities, relax your body and lower your heart-rate and make you feel happier with life. Whoever you are, wherever you come from, whatever you want to achieve, and however you want to achieve it, we believe your chance of success, your personal wellbeing and happiness is significantly improved when you read books regularly.
WE ARE A NOT-FOR-PROFIT READING INITIATIVE
We are a not-for-profit joint initiative of the Australian Booksellers Association, Australian Library & Information Association, Australian Publishers Association, and the Australian Society of Authors. Think of us as a creative content, events and marketing agency informed by research, designed for all ages and abilities, and a conduit for connecting businesses, communities, organisations and schools with exciting reading opportunities.
DRIVEN BY A COMMON PASSION FOR READING
We are united and driven by our common interest in championing the extraordinary joy and pleasure to be had in reading, promoting the many benefits of reading books, and increasing the discoverability and accessibility of work by Australian book creators.
THE READING RENAISSANCE
In the past 12 months there has been a 30% increase in the number of Australians reading books for pleasure (Families in Australia Survey: Life during COVID-19, Australian Institute of Family Studies, 2021). We aim to build on this reading revival to increase the number of Australians reading, and the frequency with which they read.
PUT DOWN THE PHONE, PICK UP A BOOK TURN OFF THE TV, TURN THE PAGE
Ultimately, we want to transform how Australians approach reading so that it becomes a healthy daily habit akin to how we think about exercising for 30 minutes, or drinking 8 cups of eater, or cleaning your teeth morning and night. We believe reading is a fun way to improve your success, wellbeing and happiness, and our purpose is to encourage reading as a healthy regular habit to improve outcomes for all Australians.
AUSTRALIAN READING HOUR
Celebrate reading on Tuesday 14 September 2021 with 150 Ambassadors and 4 new special editions
- The much-loved annual Australian Reading Hour returns Tuesday 14 September
- Originally launched by Australian libraries for the National Year of Reading in 2012
- It is now the national signature showcase event program for Australia Reads
- With activities in schools, libraries, bookshops, shopping centres & public transport
- Made possible with assistance from the Copyright Agency Cultural Fund
- More than 150 authors and illustrators available for in-person and virtual events
- Virtual schools event broadcast nationally thanks to our state Education partners
- Promotional event tool kit with posters, bookmarks, stickers, Q&As & activities
- $15K national consumer marketing campaign incorporating digital advertising
- Plus in kind promotional support from key corporate and community partnerships
- Ambassador interviews to run across morning TV, ABC, commercial & FM radio
- Feature campaign coverage across major metro newspapers in print and online
- Massive Bookstagram influencer and Book club outreach + book review mentions
- In 2020 10.3+ million Australians engaged with the campaign via social media digital, print and broadcast media, our corporate partners and virtual events program.
SUPPORTED IN-STORE & ONLINE
With bright, bold marketing assets to promote this year’s Australia Reads Special Editions:
- 9785555032539 Empty 8-pocket Dumpbin
- 9785555032973 Header Card 9785555032980 A2 Posters, double-sided (single)
- 9785555033000 Bookmarks double-sided (60)
PLUS creative digital content such as author videos, banner ads, pack shots and quote cards for use across your website, edms and social media.
Host an event to inspire ideas for more books to discover and read! Register your interest at [email protected].
See the full news release