ALIA Workforce Diversity Trend Report 2019
The Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) has released the Workforce Diversity Trend Report 2019. The report details the current status of diversity across the galleries, libraries, archives, museums and records (GLAMR) workforce.
The report has been created using data collected from the 2006, 2011, and 2016 Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) Census datasets and made available to ALIA through the ABS Census TableBuilder.
The report has identified five issues for the library and information sector to rectify in order to have a representational workforce.
- Encourage people to consider library and information as both a first and second career.
- Find ways to significantly increase the number of male library and information workers.
- Aim to double the number of Indigenous workers.
- Continue to open up career opportunities for people living with disability.
- Seek to recruit people born in Asia and/or from languages other than English households with Asian first languages.
The report was made after consultation with ALIA Members. You can also compare your library’s statistics against industry and national job averages with the ALIA Workforce Diversity Calculator below.
ALIA will be using the information as part of our response to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, in particular Goal 5, gender equality, Goal 8, decent work and economic growth, and Goal 10, reduced inequalities.
The ALIA Workforce Diversity calculator
To use the ALIA Workforce Diversity Calculator, simply survey the workers in your library service (you can use the survey we have created) and input the results in the coloured squares below. You will find your results on the 'Results' tab of this spreadsheet wherer they are compared to the industry average workforce and the total Australian labour force. You can print the results by first downloading the file, using the button below.