Until 2018, a Special Library and Information Services Advisory Committee advised the ALIA Board on the development of a strategic program for members working in special libraries or with interests in special librarianship. The committee provided advice about issues relating to government, health, law, corporate and other sectors. In 2016 the Committee organised a summit for associations active in the special library space to meet and identify shared issues and opportunities and to prioritise research and other activities related to advocacy and professional recognition for the sector.
From 2018, the Advisory Committee has become a Working Group, focusing on specific priority activities which are seen to be essential for the sector. This Working Group also incorporates members of the Australian Government Library and Information Network, which became an ALIA Group in 2019.
- Special libraries directory 3rd edition, 2020
- Regular think tank sessions at ALIA House and by videoconference for special library staff, 2019
- Special libraries supplement to INCITE, May/June 2019
- Revision of the ALIA Guidelines for Special Libraries, 2019
- Guidelines for special libraries experiencing service reviews, 2018
- Round table for Danish and Australian LIS professionals, December 2017
- Research project: The unique role and value of information professionals in special libraries, August 2017
- Special Libraries Summit, August 2016