Personal Member Categories
All interested individuals may join ALIA as a general member. No qualifications are required to be eligible.
Students enrolled in an ALIA accredited library and information science course.
- Associate. Professional personal members that have completed an ALIA accredited library and information science qualification at undergraduate or postgraduate levels.
- Library Technician. Professional personal members that have completed an ALIA accredited library technician qualification.
- Allied Field. Professional personal members that are:
1. Working at a *professional level within the GLAM sector (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums)
2. Supported by an employer referee
3. Hold a minimum of a Diploma qualification
*An example of a professional level may include the roles of conservator, social worker, early literacy specialist, media or IT manager
Recognised Personal Member Categories
ALIA recognises members who help shape the Association and the library and information profession in Australia. Many have been past presidents or received awards for outstanding contributions to the sector.
The Board of Directors may confer the distinction of Fellow and the post nominal FALIA on an ALIA member who, in the opinion of the Board, has reached an exceptionally high standard of proficiency and has made a distinguished contribution to the theory or practice of library and information science
These members are noted on the ALIA Honours Board.