Statement of Attainment in BSBLIB403 - Complete a range of cataloguing activities.
The great challenge of this digital age we find ourselves is to ensure that what we do - the collection, preservation and management of information is done in a consistent manner which ensures it is identified and accessible in the future. Cataloguing remains one of the best tools we have to guarantee that information, irrespective of its format or content, can be accessed and understood.
The course content is designed to provide you with as much practical experience of cataloguing principles and practices as possible within the timeframe of 6 weeks.
The competencies gained from successfully completing BSBLIB403 - Complete a range of cataloguing activities form part of:
- BSB42115 - Certificate IV in Library and Information Services
- BSB52115 - Diploma of Library and Information Services
Upon successfully completing the course, you will receive an official academic transcript from TAFE NSW, RTO 90003, showing you have met the unit's requirements (BSBLIB403 - Complete a range of cataloguing activities).
No entry requirements - no previous study is required to participate in this course.
- Identify and apply the current national and international standards used in constructing a catalogue record such as RDA, ISBD and MARC
- Understand the principles that underpin the RDA standard and its general structure
- Identify and construct the various elements to be considered when cataloguing a range of content types. This will include text, still image, audio and video resources, and will also include digital and non-digital resource types
- Select and use appropriate web-based resources in the cataloguing process
- Understand the need to develop local policies for cataloguing to meet client needs or specific requirements of different parts of the collection
- Understand the need for ongoing maintenance of catalogues as part of a library’s services
Right for you if...
you are interested in understanding more about the cataloguing process and the standards and tools used in this area, particularly the transition to the RDA standard. The course will provide a forum allowing participants to discuss some of the latest developments in online public-access catalogues and web catalogues, such as the use of discovery layers.
Training is conducted by TAFE NSW through online delivery.
Participants will connect with each other through forum discussions.
There are no specific times you need to be available.
The time investment is 5 hours per week of structured study, this includes the completion of assessment tasks. Some individuals may elect to spend additional time on their own research and study. 30 hours is indicative for Cataloguing Basics.
There are assessments where students receive a Unit Assessment Guide. This outlines the requirements for the unit, grading etc. This guide includes the number of units and due dates. Participants will receive formal assessment guidelines for each assessment and will receive formal feedback sheets.
The course is designed to be completed in 6 weeks but as it is developed to be self-paced, it can be finished earlier or later depending on your learning styles and needs. If you wish to vary the usual time taken, please discuss this with your teacher at the outset.
No specific hardware and software, other than a computer with internet access, is required for this course.
Access to any online cataloguing tools will be made available to students via the course.
On behalf of...
Our training partner for this course is TAFE NSW. TAFE NSW is the leading provider of vocational education and training in Australia. Each year, more than 500,000 students enrol in their nationally recognised courses and training.
What to expect once you have registered
Following the close of registrations, which is 21 September, we will be in contact with you before the course commences to provide you with further information about the next steps of enrolment: TAFE student registration and Moodle login set up.
Registrations up to 3 weeks prior = full refund
Registrations between 1-2 weeks prior = 50% refund
Registrations cancelled 1 week prior or later = no refund
Registrations can be transferred to other individuals at no cost (in the same registration category).
Contact [email protected] for information.