Library Love stories
The theme for Library Lovers' Day 2019 is 'Library Love Stories'.
This year ALIA is running a 200 word flash fiction story competition, the story can be about anything it just has to involve love and libraries and starts with the story prompt 'there was love to be found in the library'.
You can read the terms and conditions here.
Take a look at some ideas on how to celebrate Library Lovers' Day and be inspired! Celebrate #libraryloversday on 14 February 2019.
Ideas for your communication channels
- Encourage your patrons to spread the #LibraryLoversDay by having a competition for the best social media post using the #LibraryLoversDay and #LibraryLoveStories hashtags along with the Twitter handle of your library.
- Change your library’s Facebook or Twitter avatar and/or banner to the avatars and banners available in the resources section below.
Ideas for your library
- Check out all the free resources that you can use to celebrate Library Lovers’ Day further down on this page. Resources include posters, bookmarks, social media images, stickers and more.
- Leave out a labelled box where users can leave a written recommendation of book they've fallen in love with and pick up a new one. You can see the resources for it below.
- Host a shadow puppet performance, make up a new story or tell an old one and engage your local schools or childcare centres. Resources will soon be available down below.
- Host a romance themed trivia night and see how well your users remember romance books and films.
- Create a display where users can guess where a romantic or love themed quote comes from, give out chocolate as prizes.
- Create a display using our great Library Lovers’ Day poster and some of your romantic books. Don't forget to share these with us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by using #libraryloversday on social media.
- Engage with your users and hand out small bookmarks or chocolates to those who visit during the week. Or leave bookmarks randomly in books across your library as a nice surprise for someone to find.
- Showcase some of your older romantic books and engage your users to update the language and settings.
- Encourage your users to step outside of their comfort zone and have a ‘blind date’ with a book. Just wrap the book up in brown paper and see what happens.
- You know who your local talent is, invite in some relevant guest speakers to do a talk. Maybe hold a reading with a focus on love or arrange for a romance writer to visit or even host a workshop for romance writers.
- Create a Library Lovers' Day display of romance books. Decorate the display with red flowers, or streamers. Don't forget to share your results on social media using the hashtag #libraryloversday so we can all see what you've accomplished
- Host a movie night, make up some popcorn and showcase some of the great films you have in your collection.
- Everyone loves a gift, consider creating a Library Lovers’ Day hamper to send out to your local media, politicians, councillors and decision makers in your organisation and community. Tie them up with lots of ribbon for a romantic effect. Accompany them with some information about Library Lovers' Day and information about your library — how many people use it, how often, and how much the library means to them!
- Not all love is romantic, consider creating a display of materials for platonic, familial or love of animals.
- Put up a sign at the circulation desk and let your users know that you’re a ‘matchmaker’ and can help them find the book of their dreams.
- Dress up for the day, and encourage your co-workers to join in. Go one step further and run a costume competition.
- Everyone has a 'book crush', create a display where users can add their favourite book from your collection and share the passion that they have for it with other library users.
- Flyer 1
- Flyer 2
- Letterhead pdf
- Letterhead word
- Website banner
- Shadow puppet show how-to
- Shadow puppets animal kingdom
- Shadow puppets daily life
- Shadow puppets fairytale
- Shadow puppets library
- Shadow puppets science fiction
- Shadow puppets spooky
- Shadow puppets-all
- Recommendations card version 1
- Recommendations card version 2
- Recommendations box label
- Recommendations how-to