Library and Information Week is a week long celebration of library and information professionals across Australia.
Merchandise, resources and Ideas for inspiration
Previous LIW events
The week aims to raise the profile of libraries and information service professionals in Australia and gives libraries and information services the opportunity to showcase their resources, facilities, events, contacts and services through different programs and events to the community. This week is your chance to show your skills and your value to the community in a fun way!
Library and Information Week provides the community with the opportunity to:
- find out about the wide range of services which local public and school libraries offer;
- recognise the vital role which libraries and information services play for research and education;
- recognise the contribution of specialist libraries for the work outcomes in corporations, government departments, hospitals and other institutions;
- debate our information future and government approaches to it;
- emphasise the significance of libraries in the maintenance of our history and culture at community and national levels;
- recognise the importance of library and information services as providers of services for people who may otherwise be disadvantaged by their lack of access to information and services;
- consider the role which libraries play in our local community, work and personal life.
Share your Story
Library and Information Week is held during the last week of May each year. This year Library and Information week takes place 20 to 26 May 2013. We are excited to annouce that the 2013 LIW theme is Share your Story.
You can get involved by organising your own event or join one of these events.
Monday 20 May - Australia's Favourite Librarian announcement
Tuesday 21 May - National Library Technicians' Day - this day provides the opportunity for library technicians to promote ALIA, the profession, and their role in libraries and to celebrate their many achievements.
Wednesday 22 May - National Simultaneous Storytime
Thursday 23 May - Libraries celebrate Cancer Council's Biggest Morning Tea
Check the ALIA events calendar for details of ALIA group events in your local area celebrating LIW.
Order official Library and Information Week merchandise to promote and support your event.
- Eco bags
All prices include GST and postage. Click here to order.
Please allow at least 5 working days (metropolitan areas) and 10 working days (regional areas) for delivery of items. Orders placed after 8 May 2013 cannot be guaranteed to arrive in time for Library and Information Week 2013.
Ideas for inspiration
This year's theme gives you the chance to connect with your clients, users and colleagues. Share the story of your workplace with them and ask them to share their stories
Visit this page for some great ideas for for your LIW event.
These are just some ideas to get your LIW celebrations started. We would love to hear your ideas. Let us know your plans.
This page is designed to help you get the best publicity and media coverage for your LIW events in the lead up to Library and Information Week.
Library and Information Week 2013 is made possible by the generous support of our partners:
Australian Library Week was first celebrated in 1968 under the auspices of the Australian Library Promotion Council. The Council folded in the late 1980s. After an intermission of some years, the Australian Library and Information Association assumed responsibility for Australian Library Week and activities and promotion of the event have steadily gained momentum.
In 2000, the name of the week was changed to Library and Information Week to reflect the broader coverage of the sector represented by the Library and Information Association. Library and Information Week will promote all types of library and information services, the expertise and skills of the profession, and the key issues that need to be addressed to secure access to information.
Previous Library and Information Week themes have included:
- 2012 - Think Outside the Book
- 2011 - Libraries: We Find Stuff!
- 2010 - Access All Areas
- 2009 - Libraries your passport to discovery!
- 2008 - Libraries are for Everyone
- 2007 - Linking People with Ideas
- 2006 - Linking People with Ideas @your library
- 2005 - Posters themes: 'feeding hungry young minds' 'most user friendly search engine', what's on your librarians mind?'
- 2004 - Down and Loaded
- 2003 - Power your Mind
- 2002 - Libraries Change Lives
- 2001 - Libraries Information Matters and Libraries Knowledge Outlook
- 2000 - Here for the Long Run
- 1999 - Libraries: Explore and Discover
- 1998 - Pathways to Knowledge
- 1997 - Libraries: a Web of Information
Check out some of the LIW 2013 highlights.